The Benevolent Protective Order of Elks completed a major renovation to the building they had acquired ten years earlier to serve as the home to their Lodge #30. Before the Elks took possession, the property housed one of the elegant brothels that dominated South Basin Street between Canal Street and Tulane Avenue prior to the establishment of Storyville. When the city ordinance restricting prostitution to a defined geographical district was passed in 1897 the "pleasure palaces" then operating outside of the specified limits were forced to relocate. Soon after the BPOE took over the house at 121 South Basin, the street's name was changed to Elk Place. Though replaced by a larger and more modern structure in 1917 (still standing, though now owned by Tulane University), the old Elks' Home had been quite a showplace in its own right.
|[ Sporting Houses | The Blue Book | Madams | The Girls | Ernest Bellocq | Bellocq's Women |
| Leon Bellocq | Storyville History | Pictorial Tour | Storyville Transition | Maps | The Sunday Sun |
| Jazz | Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House | Engravings | Links | Comments ]